YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

sábado, 10 de enero de 2015

The Borgias: The Original Crime Family

All started a boring evening four years ago, or so I think. I was 14 and I was zapping on TV. Suddenly, I found out that a new series was being emitted on Cuatro. It was called “The Borgias”. “Nice” I thought “I love period dramas.” And that’s how I started watching one of the best series I’ve ever seen. I am writing that because I finished the last season this summer and I still can’t get over it. It was just so epic, so memorable, so beautiful… I need more! But it’s finished, no more Borgias for me.
However, I must confess I started following it because of Cesare Borgia’s hotness. My God. I still remember going excited to high school every Wednesday (the first season was emitted on Tuesdays) and commenting the last episode with a friend of mine like it was a gossip magazine “Gosh, how could she become a nun having such a man?”.The thing is that when the second series came out, I started watching it again from a more mature point of view and I got marveled. And the past summer I found out the third season (sadly the last, due to the fact that The Borgias got cancelled by Showtime for being too expensive) and I watched it with my mum. She became really interested, and we enjoyed together the fabulous scenarios, actings, clothing and music. But then it was over. We were so in love with the series that she invited a friend of hers and re-watched it again. By contrast, I looked on the internet for some season 4 hope, and I found that Neil Jordan, the creator, published the script of a never filmed two hours film for the fans to know how it should have ended. With no doubt, I read it – in English- and it was awesome.
Now I’ve told you my story with The Borgias, I’m giving you a few reasons to watch it:

1.       The clothing: OH. MY. GOD. It’s all I need to say. I want a closet like that. The beauty of the costumes and hairstyles is very significant. I guess that charged a lot the budget and that’s why it got cancelled.
It also follows the evolution of the characters. For example, Lucrezia. At the beginning she’s a lovely teenager, and she wears her hair down and light colours. As the series draws on, her style becomes more opulent and magnificent. In fact, the series has won several awards for the clothing and hairstyling.
Up: Young Lucrezia and more mature Lucrezia
Down: Giulia Farnese and Alexander VI
2.       It shows a more human side of the Borgia family: demonized everywhere, history has been very unfair with this Spanish family. In the series, they’re not precisely saints, but you can empathize with them and understand why they did what they did (or they were said to have done). There are emotions, passion, there is angst and anger. Really moving.

3.       The evolution of the characters/the acting: as I said, it is very easy to get charmed by them. It is very notable the evolution of the characters through the seasons, with all that political conspiracy. The games of power are crystal clear, and the characters get involved. Even the supporting characters are amazing. About the acting… GOD, Pope Alexander VI is played by Jeremy Irons, isn’t that quality? François Arnaud as Cesare Borgia and Holliday Grainger as Lucrezia are also remarkable, and Gina McKee as Cateriza Sforza is one of my favourites although she’s in a supporting role
.

4.       Accuracy: it was been criticized because of its historic accuracy-inaccuracy, but I think it is pretty good. I mean, everything is not exactly as it happened, of course they changed things, but in general terms, things are really well done. And the aesthetic accuracy is incredible. As I was watching some episodes I recognized some shots like this one…
I mean... look at the details, even the dress is the fucking same!
P.S. The character is Giulia Farnese

So, if you like period dramas, this is a must for you! 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario